Post Tue May 03, 2011 4:35 pm

Periodico Revolutionario - Late May 1910

MADERO, HUERTA ATTACK MEXICO STATE
Generals Madero and Huerta have attacked the State of Mexico, under the control of Presidente Diaz. Federalis, deployed after the presidential election, were the first to fight back, but were later backed up by Presidente Diaz’s forces. The invading forces were pushed back. The Periodico Revolutionario is working to confirm the number of forces and casualties involved in the fight.

GUTIERREZ RETAKES QUERETARO
General Gutierrez has retaken Querétaro from Presidente Diaz. No fighting was reported.

The territory had been taken by a small invading force in the early part of the month.

DIAZ COUNTERATTACKS IN GUANAJUATO
While the Huertistas and Maderistas were launching an attack on Mexico State, Presidente Diaz moved a large number of forces into Guanajuato. The attack did not fare well for Diaz. Reporters present in Guanajuato do not have an estimate of the number of forces involved. One man on the scene said he thought Diaz’s army was “torn up” in the fighting.

Any Porfiriatas under Diaz’s control would have retreated to the non-Diaz controlled territory of Querétaro.

VILLA ATTACKS IN SAN LUIS POTOSI
General Villa launched an attack on forces loyal to Generals Carranza and Gutierrez in San Luis Potosí. The forces were reported to be evenly matched. The defending forces repelled the attack, killing around five hundred men while wounding others.

BATTLE IN TAMAULIPAS
General Villa has attacked General Gutierrez in Tamaulipas. The attack was small, thought to be a scouting force. Both sides saw men wounded, but reported no units killed in the battle. Villa’s forces were thought to retreat.

MORELOS FALLS TO PRESIDENTE DIAZ
Forces loyal to Presidente Diaz have taken control of the Huertistas territory of Morelos. No fighting was reported.

DIAZ SETS HIGH TAX RATE
In his first move in office, Presidente Diaz set tax at the top rate of 80 percent. While there had not been much discussion ahead of the presidential election on tax rates, the move was not unexpected and angered other Generals. Said one General, “I am astounded that the bootlicker Gutierrez threw his support behind that dog, Diaz, knowing how Mexico suffered under his tyranny in the recent past.”

For his part, Diaz assured reporters from the Peridoco Revolutionario his intended to rule “fairly.” Said Diaz, “I am honored that the Mexican people have once again selected me to unite and lead. I will do my best to make sure that Mexico is governed fairly and justice prevails. I also give my respects to Huerta and Madero for running a strong campaign. We should all move forward in the interests of the nation.”

TEQUILA CONSUMPTION ON THE RISE
Economics reporters have noticed an increase in the number of tequila shipment orders throughout Mexico.

AND IN OTHER NEWS...

* Troops from the armies of Peru and Ecuador massed on the common border between theose two nations. A few days later Ecuador and Peru accepted an offer for their boundary dispute to be mediated by Argentina, Brazil and the United States

* Continuing their negotiations France and the Ottoman Empire signed a convention setting the boundary between their North African possessions.

* The funeral for the late Edward VII of the United Kingdom took place in London, with the last great gathering of Europe's reigning monarchs, all on horseback. The new British King, George V, was followed in the procession by Wilhelm II of Germany, Haakon VII of Norway, George I of Greece, Alfonso XIII of Spain, Ferdinand I of Bulgaria, Frederick VIII of Denmark, Manuel II of Portugal, and Albert I of Belgium. Present also were the heirs to the thrones of Turkey, Austria-Hungary, Greece, Romania, Montenegro, Serbia, and the United Kingdom.

* King George V has announced the creation of the Union of South Africa. The Union will be created from a merger of the British Cape Colony and Colony of Natal, and the conquered Afrikaans-speaking republics in the Transvaal and the Orange River Colony.

Want your voice heard? Send in an opinion-editorial to El Periodico Revolucionario: conquestgames@gmail.com