Post Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Periodico Revolutionario - Late February 1910

THE SIEGE OF FORT SONORA
The full military might of Generals Francisco Madero and Francisco “Pancho” Villa laid siege to Fort Sonora, late this month. The armies attacked the Fort almost constantly night after night, severely damaging Fort. Obregon’s forces were able to return fire, but only sporadically. Losses among the attacking armies were reported to be minimal.

During the siege, Madero released the following statement: “The coordinated aggression by my neighbors is an outrage. The decision by Villa and Madero to use every last soldier, cannon and calvary unit at their disposal to invade my territory shows they have no concern for protecting their own people. Instead, they seem hellbent on war. I hope my brothers across Mexico heed this warning and do everything in their power to return peace to our land.”

The armies remain in Sonora, laying siege to the Fort, though it is thought that Fort Sonora will not last another month, given the heavy attacks and bombardment.

VILLA TAKES CONTROL OF BAJA CALIFORNIA
Troops moved to Baja California via Sonora and have secured the area. Due to the conflict in Sonora, the information we are getting is scarce, but we can confirm that Villa has gained control of the territory. More news to follow as it breaks.

THE CRUZ ROJA DE MEXICANA COMING TO MEXICO?
The International Red Cross has announced its intention to spread to Mexico. The disaster assistance group, to be known as the Cruz Roja de Mexicana, would be the first formal medical operation in the country. Fernando Lopez, a local doctor with ties to the International Red Cross, will tour the country, consulting with various Generals on the feasibility of “Medico” units being introduced to Mexico. According to Dr. Lopez, Generals could be asked to pledge money to start up the Cruz Roja de Mexicana, after which Medico units could be trained and integrated into local militia armies. Generals can telegraph in their interest, or pledge amounts, to conquestgames@gmail.com

STATEMENT FROM VILLA
“My dear people of Las Esperanzas, I express my most sincere condolences. This is a terrible tragedy and the lives of many of our people were lost. The state will provide for the families of our workers, and the injured will be cared for. But do not mistake this as an accident. This was a terrorist attack from the armies of that filthy animal Obregon. But fear not, we will crush his armies and march this beast to his demise. I know these times are hard, but take comfort my people, for the Mexico we build together will be for you. Viva el Norte! Viva la Villistas!”

AND IN OTHER NEWS...
* In ealy February, Boutros Pasha Ghali, the Prime Minister of Egypt, was assassinated as he left the Ministry of Foreign Affairs building. Ibrahim Wardani, a Moslem member of the Nationalist Party, fired five gunshots into Ghali.

* The ILGWU strike against New York's shirtwaist (blouse) factories has ended after almost three months. The walkout of 20,000 women began on November 23, and ended after 339 manufacturers agreed to a reduced workweek (52 hours a week rather than 56), increased wages, and union recognition.

* The Sultan of Morocco has agreed to ultimatum terms, posted on him by France. The European country delivered a 48-hour ultimatum, to ratify an agreement to pay back $12,000,000 owed as indemnities, or face the seizure of all tariffs owed Morocco.

* Old Trafford, the stadium for English football team Manchester United, has opened. A crowd estimated at 80,000 watched as the Red Devils lost to visiting Liverpool F.C., 4–3.

* The "American cinephone" was unveiled at a New York press conference this month, showing technology that might make it possible to have sound on films. Theoretically, a trained cinephone operator would be able to synchronize a film's speed to a phonographic record "so that the gestures of a singer and actor appear at practically the same instant as the sound of the voice.”

Want your voice heard? Send in an opinion-editorial to El Periodico Revolucionario: conquestgames@gmail.com