Flow Chart Drafts

Please post in here with questions and thoughts about the manual so that we can ensure the best possible play experience once the game starts.

General: Eulalio Gutierrez

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Re: Flow Chart Drafts

just one more:

7) what about for the feds orders? decreasing unit value? and again with forts in general: can they only be fired upon once all other defending units have been cleared (as suggested by the flowchart)

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:56 pm

In the example where two players (A + C) are attacking B, I get that A+C attack as one unit and B attacks them as 1 unit. How is damage assessed to the A+C joint force?

As if it were one force, no preference given to a side.

What does "attach each other as normal" mean if neither one has the first strike? Is it up to a coin toss to who goes first?

No first strike, who goes first doesn't matter... both attack and damage is applied.

A question that I asked Russ yesterday that bears repeating here: If A attacks B and B attacks A on the same turn, where does the battle take place? Who's the defender? (guess this might be the same answer as to the previous question).

Each battle takes place in the destination territory. It is possible for Territory A to send ALL their units to B, and Territory B to send ALL their units to A in the same round and they simply swap places.

If we run low on money after building an inf for 3 turns, does it stall in production civ-style until we have the money or does it disappear?

Gone... you cannot go into debt.

Omitted questions/answers are being worked on, but wanted to get this out there.

General: Venustiano Carranza

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:25 pm

eager to get answers to the previous questions.
Venustiano Carranza
Bigote Gigantote

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Can I specify which type of unit I want my units to attack?

Yes, Generals may specify a SINGLE unit type to target for each of their units. If none of that type is alive when your unit goes to apply damage, it will target the next damaged unit at random. If there are no units that are damaged, it will target a random unit. Generals cannot specify more than one target type, nor give an if, then, else statement about who and when to target. This goes for Fed/Forts as well.

Focus Fire

This game uses focus fire, meaning (after determining the target unit type if available) the units will apply damage to the most damaged enemy units first. This will mean that your injured units will die faster, but the remaining units will be at mostly be at full HP.

Example: You begin by defending with 10 infantry at full HP. After combat, you have 6 Infantry at full HP, 1 infantry at 4 HP, and 3 infantry were destroyed.

Repairs
There are no repairs for units or forts. We feel the focus fire element minimizes the need and would rather ensure we have a strong game with the elements we have before adding in another economic consideration that may create imbalances. We will be interested in feedback on this after the game is complete for future versions.

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:08 pm

Wait, when are turns due?

Turns are due on or before 11:59 PST Tuesday, March 29th, 2011. All deadlines are PST, not Mexico City time (sorry Danny).

Game Stockpile

All players BEGIN the game with $100 in stockpile. This is in addition to the $100 in income each player receives.

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Excess Damage
What happens if I have a unit that did 5 damage in a turn, but the unit it targets only has 1 HP? The additional 4 damage will rollover and apply to the next unit on its target list (following all aforementioned attack rules).

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:43 pm

I'd like to compliment whoever pulled together these character portrait pics. I can only hope to look this cool when I get old.

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 pm

critelk wrote:I'd like to compliment whoever pulled together these character portrait pics. I can only hope to look this cool when I get old.

Russ got the initial set of pics, I did the avatar crops and put them into the forum. I also added the name tags to make it a bit easier to manage.

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:25 am

If you move into a territory with a fort and at least one unit, does the fort automatically attack you, or does it only defend if you specifically attack it?

And to be totally clear here, in terms of targeting, are we discarding rule published on the site that there is only one command, ATTACK/MOVE, as well as the rules in the targeting flowchart that started this thread, in favor of the rule where you would specify something like inf ATTACK inf, and if there are no inf, it becomes ATTACK a random target?

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:17 pm

critelk wrote:5) Under El Presidente, it says, "The Federalis are entirely a cavalry force". Does that mean inf get the +1 to cav bonus when they're in combat together?

No, that comment is entirely biographical flavor text. It does not affect gameplay as confirmed by the units table.
Previous

Return to Pre-Game Rules Discussion